Basic Electrical Engineering
About CourseDC, AC, Magnetic Circuits, Transformers, Motors, Power Electronic converters, wires, cables, relays
The course on Basic Electrical Engineering is offered almost in all universities at the first-year level for all Engineering branches. Topics such as DC Circuits, Single-phase and three-phase AC Circuits, Magnetic Circuits, Single-phase and three-phase transformers, AC and DC Machines, Power converters, wires cables, MCB, MCCB, SFU, etc. are generally included in the course. This course focuses on different concepts presented in the topics mentioned above along with numerical questions. Moreover, all lectures are explained with simple clear and language using colored diagrams.
After taking this course, the learners should be able to,
1) Explain different theorems used to solve Electrical Engineering circuits.
2) Solve Electrical Engineering circuits to find out current in a specific branch of an electrical circuit.
3) Explain the working of elementary AC generator which generates AC voltage.
4) Explain different terms used to define AC quantities.
5) Solve single-phase AC circuits consisting of resistance, inductance, and capacitance.
6) Explain the concept of MMF, reluctance, magnetic field intensity, permeability, magnetic fringing etc.
7) Solve series and parallel magnetic circuits.
8) Explain construction and working of single phase, three phase and auto-transformer.
9) Compute efficiency and regulation of transformer.
10) Explain construction and working of DC motors, single phase and three phase Induction Motors.
11) Plot the characteristics of Electrical motors.
12) Classify Electrical motors.
13) Explain working of diode rectifier, inverters and DC-DC converters.
14) Explain working of switch fuse unit, MCB, MCCB, ELCB.
15) Explain concept of earthing.
This course serves as a foundation to learn advanced courses in basic electrical engineering.
What Will I Learn?
- Explain different concepts in D.C., A.C. and magnetic circuits to solve numerical problems
- Explain the working and construction of single phase and three phase transformer
- Explain the working, construction and characteristics of Electrical Motors
- Explain working of basic Power Electronics converters
- Explain different types of wires, cables, switch gears and relays